Construction Director Large Projects
The Construction Director Large Projects will be tasked with providing both strategic and practical guidance to stakeholders at all levels. Working closely with both the private and public sector, the successful applicant will work with architects, engineers, trade workers and other key people to organize and implement infrastructure projects through all stages.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Hands on oversight and management of existing civil construction contracts
- Working with senior Falklands based leadership team to develop the end to end delivery of high-end luxury eco lodges
- Reviewing and evaluating existing residential property portfolio and developing
- Costed planned maintenance programme
- Refurbishment / rebuild recommendations for existing properties
- New build options for existing serviced sites
- Management and growth of residential property rental portfolio
- Developing plans for longer term redevelopment of key strategic sites
- Progressing discussions concerning long term redevelopment of Stanley
- Lead a team of internal project/construction managers, assistants and coordinators to successfully deliver complex projects within a live dynamic environment.
- Lead the onsite team and ensure project completion within the set budget, schedule and conformance with design documents.
- Advise and establish clear project programmes and milestones to monitor and report project progress.
- Participate in developing project bidding strategy with the project team and purchasing department. Prepare scopes of work for each trade, in construction with purchasing.
- Review and provide schedule information for bid documents.
- Develop a logistics plan that allows the contractors to complete their work in a coordinated, efficient manner under the Project manager directive
- Coordinate and integrate the activities of all of the Construction managers, project engineers and other support staff on the project. Establish priorities for the project staff based on owner and project requirements.
- Establish regularly scheduled meetings with the contractors and design team to review the following: shop drawing preparation / approval, equipment/material lead times and required on-site dates, manpower projections vis-a-vis the project schedule, quality/performance issues on and off site.
- Monitor contractor/vendor pending costs. Ensure that the cost report is updated on a monthly basis.
- Coordinate with the project executive all client “business” related contact/correspondence to ensure consistency of reporting throughout the project lifecycle.
- Conduct regular project/contractor meetings to review project progress
- Ensure all costs and risk updates are communicated and incorporated into the overall project reporting.
- Obtain approvals for changes to the project that have been generated by the contractor team.
- Establish adequate Inspection and Testing with hold points enforced to ensure desired quality of delivery is maintained.
- Obtain client’s acceptance of the work, and sign-off for the completed project. Responsible for the preparation and submission of the final project report, and prompt closeout of the subcontracts.
- Study, evaluate and identify all tasks and risks from bidding to project undertaking, implementation and up to the final completion of the project.
- Initiate site activity investigations and assessments.
- Evaluate and assess equipment and recommend designs for the project team integrating safety measures.
- Analyse, evaluate and initiate potential energy conservation measures while executing a project.
- Design, develop and initiate site-specific safety plan including an accident-free safe work environment.
- Lead, direct, assist and support construction teams to ensure deliverable processes on time and within the budget.
- Prepare detailed, accurate timely project reports including work schedules, implementations, deviations, change in subcontractors, customer issues and other related problems.
Qualifications and Skills
- Professional Qualification (Chartered Surveyor, QS or similar) with minimum of 10 years practical experience of property development in UK and ideally overseas.
- Primary experience in commercial property and civil projects and site development
- A valid driver’s license.
- Significant experience in delivering successful tenders for medium / large civil construction projects.
- Ability and willingness to prepare site surveys and planning applications.
- Knowledge of construction, engineering, procurement, industry standards and other project-related activities, their interfaces and interdependencies.
- Proven ability to manage and lead teams to build collaboration and efficiency.
- Clear and concise written and oral communication skills.
- Strong understanding of the budget process.
- Ability to communicate effectively across offices.
- Strong presentation and negotiating skills, and experience supervising, training and mentoring staff.
- Demonstrated leadership experience and working with others.
- Maintain composure under pressure and consistently meet deadlines with internal and external customers and contacts.
- Ability to interact appropriately and effectively with management, other team members, and outside contacts.
- Flexible approach to dealing with and adapting to change.
- Committed to providing excellent customer service.
- Ability to respect confidentiality and recognise the importance of data protection.
The vacancy is open to all applicants; preference is given to permanent residents of the Falkland Islands.
Application instructions: Please send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org with “VHR0109 Construction Director Large Projects” in the subject-line.