As a Quantity Surveyor, you’ll seek to minimise the cost and risk of a construction project and enhance value for money, while still achieving the required legal standards and quality. You’ll prepare estimates and costs of the work and when the project is in progress, you’ll keep track of any variations to the contract that may affect costs and create reports to show profitability. An additional role to this post is support of FIC’s bids for large scale construction project tenders.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Reviewing construction plans and preparing quantity requirements.
- Scrutinizing maintenance and material costs, as well as contracts to ensure the best deals.
- Liaising with site managers, clients, contractors, and subcontractors.
- Preparing reports, analyses, contracts, budgets, risk assessment, and other documents.
- Advising managers and clients on improvements and new strategies.
- Keeping track of materials and ordering more when required.
- Documenting any changes in design and updating budgets.
- Establishing and maintaining professional relationships with external and internal stakeholders.
- Traveling from the office to various sites as required.
- Follow Health and Safety policy and procedures including the wearing of personal protective equipment when necessary.
- Undertake health and safety training as required.
- Manage health and safety issues in your area of responsibility in line with the relevant section(s) of the relevant Health and Safety Policy.
Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor’s degree in Quantity Surveying, Engineering, Management, or similar.
- 3-5 years post qualification experience
- Construction estimating or finance experienced is advantageous.
- A valid driver’s license.
- Knowledge and understanding of NEC3 and NEC4 contracts
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills.
- Sound knowledge of construction.
- Great networking abilities
- Excellent negotiating and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to organise, plan, and strategise
- Experience in working as a team player
- Confident communicator and able to deal with problems
- Ability to work as part of a team and support colleagues
- Ability to maintain confidentiality where necessary
- Able to be flexible in work activities, location and hours of work
- Personable and comfortable in dealing with new people including tenants, tradesmen, and other colleagues
- Be conscientious and diligent and show attention to detail
- Ability to work on own initiative and be a self-starter
- Ability to work to deadlines.
- Team worker
- Flexible approach to dealing with and adapting to change.
- Committed to providing excellent customer service
- Ability to respect confidentiality and recognise the importance of data protection.
The vacancy is open to all applicants; preference is given to permanent residents of the Falkland Islands.
Application instructions: Please send your CV to email@example.com with “VHR0113 Quantity Surveyor” in the subject-line.